Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Digital Copy - Read the Fine Print.

Some months ago I bought the Family Guy: Blue Harvest DVD. It was the hilarious Star Wars spoof they did. This was a Fox DVD and was labeled as including a Digital Copy, which you can download to your computer and mobile devices. It was so cool :). It had several options. I was able to get a copy of the DVD through iTunes for my iPod and also download a WMV version for the computer, which I was also able to upload to my PSP. All of this was absolutely free and awesome. I thought this was how grand the future would be.

Then recently I bought the Warner Bros. DVD of the movie Mongol. On the package was labeled "Get a Digital Copy." Now based on my previous experience, I was overjoyed. I thought I'd have another movie for my mobile devices. So, I just tried to download this Warner Bros. branded "Digital Copy." Following the instructions I went to the WB website link, and it redirects me to a third party site I've never heard of, where to my surprise I'd have to pay $1.99 to download the "Digital Copy" :(. I had failed to read the very fine print on the packaging that said there were additional charges to get the "Digital Copy." I know $1.99 isn't really a lot of money for that convenience. But, after the freebie from the Family Guy DVD, it just seems lame to charge for the "digital copy." It seemed like such a cool reward and selling point for buying an official DVD. In any case, I'm going to be much more careful in reading the fine print on DVDs with "Digital Copy" labeled on them.

No comments: