Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Happening

I ended up watching M. Night Shyamalan's The Happening lately. The trailers had intrigued me, and for the most part I like his movies. The Happening starts off with an unexplained "gas" attack that breaks out in New York City's Central Park. The unexplained result is that people become disoriented and start committing suicide. News of this spreads and people quickly try to escape the city. Unfortunately the "attacks" spread to the rest of the US Northeast.

Wahlberg and Leguizamo play school teachers that try and get their families out of the area by train. The cast was convincingly quirky and kept my interest. Some have said that the inclusion of kids in the traumatic scenes were a bit disturbing. But, if this were a real incident, the kids would realistically be caught up in the mess. Adds to the drama.

I do have to say most of the shock scenes were adequate, but could have been done better. One scene in particular was poorly done and laughable. It was a scene in where people were viewing an iPhone video of someone being mauled by bears. It looked like a Saturday Night Live sketch filmed on a blue screen, completely fake looking. At times in the movie I felt I wasn't actually scared but startled by the loud music that punctuated every shock scene. I did like the situations that transpired though, as it seems to be similar in theme but the total opposite of a zombie horror flick.

In the end though, I left unsatisfied by the movie. The events that occur are poorly explained and purposely vague. I really wanted to see more of what was "Happening." I wanted to see more of what was going on in the major population centers, but was forced to follow the characters into the countryside. Then just as quickly as the "Happening" started, it just ends with the cop out explanation that things can happen in nature that we will never fully understand. This kind of ending works great on a TV show like The Twilight Zone or The X-Files, but for a feature film is hardly acceptable. M. Night Shyamalan's trademark twist ending fails this time around.

1 comment:

Tave said...

I haven't seen the movie yet, so my comment will be more of a general M. Night observation and not a review.

I find that some Night movies leave more to be desired - like Lady in the Water. I would have loved to have seen more of what was going on. Also, when I first saw Signs, I loved the characters, but thought the movie seemed a bit weak.

After watching both several times, I appreciate more what Night is trying to show us and the type of story he's trying to tell.

I'll let you know what I think when I finally see the movie (which may be a while since I still haven't caught Indy).